April 28, 2012

Yard Sale

The start-up winds are blowing west these days, and we are getting ready to move.  When? Most likely in June.  Where?  We think our final destination is Seattle, but a lot can happen in a few months and we may be doing lots of stops/stays before we get there.  They will be happy stops in Utah and Arizona to visit our family who we've so much missed.  

In honor of the forthcoming move we planned to have a big moving sale Saturday morning.  We sorted through all our possessions made a pile of the things we didn't need or could easily replace.  It made a fairly substantial pile. (See exhibit A). Most of the stuff either we'd had a very long time or had been given to us as hand-me-downs.  WAY too much stuff and I'm vowing to say NO to free things or cheap things or anything for that matter unless I absolutely need it or positively love it.  

The Great and Terrible Purge
When it comes to moving, Chris and I have a bad history. Our first move together was during a blizzard.  We also had mono and had to sit for a while to rest between trips.  Next came the move from Virginia to North Carolina, which was momentous as we had managed in a week's time to (1) learn I was expecting our first baby, (2) we were about to close on our first house, and (3) we immediately set to work on our first home remodel.  As we were unpacking the moving truck Chris kept giving me encouragement telling me that we didn't need any help because I was "strong like unto the men."  Needless to say, I was flat in bed with a high fever by the end of that week.

This move began with a memorable moment as (the day before the big moving sale) Chris and I both came down with some nasty sickness that had us either vomiting or flat in bed.  Nasty.  Poor Esther must have been wondering why mom and dad weren't getting out of bed...ever.  Thankfully a friend who learned we were sick took Esther for the afternoon so she could get out of the house eat a decent meal.  Generally speaking, I would not recommend getting sick at the same time as your spouse unless you live in close proximity to one of your mothers.  Things really fall apart.

Amazingly enough, we were feeling much better this morning and with some help from our amazing church friends, the sale was quite successful.  Glad to see my things go to new homes and cash is much easier to move across the country than boxes.



2 comments:

  1. Hooray for life changes! I'll need to e-mail you. This post doesn't have nearly enough information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH! I am so sorry. I think you two just work yourself sick when it is time to move. Hopefully you can take it some what easy the rest of the way. I am SO excited to see you guys!!! Love you! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete